Friday, October 10, 2014

City Grays


sold

I've been experimenting with different holds on my brush. Usually I hold mine like a pencil, and I think I get more controlled marks with it, but for this one (an NYC rainy day scene) I tried holding it near the end. The result is a bit messier, but also looser in a certain way. I will keep experimenting. Perhaps a combination of the two, depending on what kind of marks I want...

And speaking of brushes, I learned something that will save me (and hopefully some of you) money!! I know for certain this works on the brushes I mostly use (Silver Bristlon brights, and Rosemary Ivory short flats), which are synthetic (and wonderful) but can't say for sure about any other kind. When they get frayed at the end, brush them back and forth on the bottom of a pan full of boiling water. This pulls them back into shape like magic. I tried it the other night and was amazed. I'm so glad I put off throwing away my old brushes!

10 comments:

Ron Wilson said...

Thanks for the brush ends boiling water tip. I'll try it 'cos several of mine have frayed. I like that you experiment by holding the back of the brush but don't stray too far from the Marine method - hold your brush where it does the most good and all your fans will be happy.

Leslie Bishop said...

Opened my email this morning and just smiled big at the colors and looseness on this one! They greys add such a nice subtlety.

And thanks for the tip on brushes...can't wait to try it.

Jewel Plein-Aire makes a VERY long brush that also leaves a loose, textured mark and is so fun to use!

D. MEYER said...

Oh yes on the hold thing....when I want looser I hold back too and when I want to really get on i n there , get on in on that brush!! Heheah.. I use the Ivorys too, love them...I will try that boiling water magic trick and see. Thanks Ms. Carol. Enjoy your city scapes... ¦~>

Debbi Smith Rourke said...

Carol, all your city scenes are amazing! And you capture each cities personality. You can see this NY scene is different from San Fran. Congrats!

Adria Moynihan said...

I've always thought that using hot water was a no no because it melts the glue that assists in holding the bristles inside the ferrule. But if a brush is dead, what's the harm in trying! I will definitely try this with some of my dead brushes that I haven't been willing to throw out. Thanks for the tip! :)

sue said...

Thanks for the boiling water tip Carol. Looking forward to resurrecting all my old synthetics. Loved this painting on NYC.

Sheila Evans said...

Carol, I just tried the brush tip---on one of the brushes I bought in Eugene during your workshop in January. Just like new! Thank you!!

Unknown said...

I tried the brushes and boiling water remedy - it works! I had many old brushes deemed unusable because they had a bad case of "bed head". Thanks for the tip!

Yvonne S said...

Without any doubt this is the best art book I have ever read.
I ordered the book from Amazon and after ordering it went back to read the pages that allowed for readers. I got so excited after paying for 2nd day shipping that I downloaded the book so I could get ahead start. My husband wanted to know I was reading and I showed him. He wouldn't give the computer back, so I told him to download his own! We are now a three book family!
Great Job Carol Marine! You are helping us
everyday!
Yvonne Snead

Yvonne S said...

Great book! We bought one book and three downloads!

Yvonne Snead