Sunday, September 24, 2017

Retail Therapy


sold.

For one of my birthdays when I was a kid, someone gave me a set of markers. I remember not wanting to waste them, so I put them aside for "some special project in the future." Several years later I finally brought them out, only to find they had dried up!

When I got back from France and I was going through my photos, I was most excited about the reference for this painting. But I decided I should save it, because if I used my favorite photos first, I would be ... wasting them? So yesterday I decided - what the heck - I'm going to paint them in the order I am most excited about. And when I run out, I'll go and take more photos! So here's this one, and I have to say (screw modesty), I'm kind of totally in love with it.

3 comments:

Lisa Daria said...

I think this sounds like a good way to plan another trip - running out of favorite photos = another trip to France! Love the lighting on this - happy painting! - Lisa

Christine said...

I can really see why you like this. The yellow light is perfect and all the surrounding dots and dash shades are a dance with the paint.

Stephanie Berry said...

Wonderful back lighting on this one. Love the figures and how you handled them. Love your story about the markers. I'm like that with paper that cost more than a couple bucks per sheet. You've made me think I need to pull all those expensive sheets out and do something with them! Thanks!